SHOCKING PLI FINDINGS
A four-week 2019 Public Local Inquiry involved:
Strong views on both sides
A mountain of documents
It examined the following case for golf at Coul:
A world-class course
Biodiversity net gain
Hundreds of jobs to be generated
The outcome was that NONE of these were established, ANYTHING BUT
Here are SOME of the key findings:
- SIGNIFICANT ADVERSE EFFECTS on Dune Heath, Dune Slacks and the overall Dune Habitat System
- MITIGATION via Site Management Plan inadequate, CANNOT OVERCOME DAMAGE
- SIGNIFICANT ADVERSE EFFECT on Wintering Birds, even after mitigation
- SIGNIFICANT ADVERSE EFFECT on Breeding Birds, even after mitigation
- SIGNIFICANT ADVERSE EFFECT on Coul lnvertebrate (Insect) Assemblage
- SIGNIFICANT ADVERSE EFFECT on Dune Juniper and Lichens
- Integrity of SSSI, SPA and Ramsar site would be compromised
- Not in accord with site, habitat and species protection policies of local plan
- SCALE OF INVESTMENT and JOBS CREATED were of local and regional Importance, NOT NATIONALLY IMPORTANT.
- Number of jobs to be created directly in golf was EXAGGERATED when compared to known national total.
NOT COUL had made all the above points in its submissions to The Highland Council and the Inquiry. It was the only opposing party at PLI to contest on socio-economic matters.